To help our patients through their cancer treatment journey and help them begin to regain their physical strength and mobility, CCL has a dedicated physiotherapist based at our Centre.
The service provides support for cancer related symptoms (such as pain, weakness, stiffness, respiratory problems and general treatment fatigue) and aims to empower patients through various activity programmes to regain and maintain a balanced lifestyle and help them with the process of integration back into their everyday life, including advice for getting back to work.
Types of physiotherapy offered at CCL
The physiotherapist at Cancer Centre London offers a variety of different types of physiotherapy, including:
- Individual treatments for musculoskeletal or orthopaedic related problems, as well as exercise programmes and stretches for weakness, stiffness, pain and general wellbeing
- Fatigue management sessions to help patients optimise and manage energy.
- Specialist advice and energy conservation techniques as well as graded exercise programmes are available from our cancer physiotherapist and occupational therapist.
Other treatments and services offered at CCL:
- Haemato-Oncology Exercise Classes: designed to help patients with blood cancers to develop a ‘return to fitness’ strategy. The classes provide a mixture of heart and muscle strengthening exercises
- Acupuncture: the ancient Oriental practice of using needles to threat various various musculoskeletal problems, menopause or hormonal symptoms
- Pilates Classes: designed to improve posture and core strength after surgery, and to help the patient to regain further strength and flexibility during and after chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
- Specialised Pilates for Bone Health: promote and support bone health for patients diagnosed with osteoporosis or osteopenia or who have a high risk of developing osteoporosis.
- Hydrotherapy: patients are given a form of physiotherapy in the heated pool at Parkside Hospital. The hydrostatic pressure of the water is beneficial in managing swelling and lymphoedema symptoms
Cancer Centre London also provides specialised physiotherapy for patients with breast cancer. For more information please click here.